Saturday, May 28, 2011

Flats and Handwashing: Days 4 & 5

Well considering it's the morning of day 6. . . I"m a little behind!

Day 4:

Nothing extraordinary happened.  Flats worked great all day, including at the theater while taking the boys to see their first movie.  The only problem came from me forgetting to make sure Little Gee was pointing in the proper direction if you know what I mean!  So he wound up peeing up and over the diaper, which then ran down his pant leg (of longies of course!) and all over his foot and the theater floor.  Oops.  And of course, since people don't expect babies in the theater there was no place to change his diaper, but I still managed to change him on a bench in the restroom that was only an inch wider than his waist.  Of course it was a flat diaper!  So glad I had it pre-folded using the kite fold!

Day 5:

I cheated.  I had to.  There was no choice.  I had an appointment that I couldn't take the boys with me for so I left them with the sitter.  She's 18 and indirectly has made it clear she really isn't comfortable using cloth diapers at this time.  She does and will, if they snap or velcro, but flats and prefolds are just a bit too complicated at the moment.  So I packed a bag full of fitteds.  And since I'm uncomfortable washing fitteds by hand they are in the wash this morning, with all the flats from the last 24 hours.  I have to make it worth while to run the washer!  I did of course only use flats after my appointment was over.

As I head into day 6 I find that I'm feeling as though I am being punished by not being allowed to use my washer and dryer.  I'm fairly certain this only stems from the fact that I have them, they work and the guilt of breaking the rules on the challenge.  If I had no washer and dryer, and no money for disposables I would very likely be just fine with doing this.  After all, as it is I've cut down on quite a few expenses to stay home with my babies.  I don't have a cell phone, a gym membership, buy new clothes for myself, and bake/cook nearly everything we eat from scratch.  I make all of our cleaning products from scratch as well.  So what would it really be to hand wash and dry a couple of flats every day?  If I didn't have a washer and dryer, I'd probably be doing it with most of our clothing to cut costs down.  Since I have the utilities and it's yet again rainy out. . . I feel entitled to use them.  I wont use them again until Monday, when the challenge is over.  I'm still planning on using flats, and drying them on the line as needed.  I may even hand wash them on occasion. 

I hope I haven't discouraged anyone from using flats or hand washing diapers.  I definitely hope I haven't discouraged anyone from choosing cloth of any kind.  I look forward to sharing the expense of hand washing and drying flats including the initial cost of stocking up on flats and covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment