Thursday, October 20, 2011

On The Drawing Board



 
On the drawing board I have The Sleepy Sheep's newest product:  The Fitted T-shirt Diaper.  I know what I want in a diaper, but YOU are the customer.  So tell me, what do YOU want?

Here is what I need you to know about the final pattern.  Unless special ordered each diaper will be serged with an extra long doubler.  The doubler may be attached by serging or have snaps for easy removal.  I find that  I never take my doublers off and for that reason I'm more likely to just serge it together with the diaper itself.  However, if I get enough requests to have them removable, or possibly entirely separate then I will heed your requests!  Should the doubler be attached to the front or the back of the diaper?  The other option I would like your input on is whether to have long skinny wings or short fat ones.  I prefer the short fat ones as there is less material to fight with.  I will also make each diaper with snaps, though I"m possibly going to offer diapers with no snaps as a economy style, and sell them for less.  These diapers would be easily secured using pins, a snappi or boingo diaper fasteners.  You could also add your own snaps, velcro or aplix.  Joann's fabric offers a local place to get items specifically for making cloth diapers.

Here are three of the latest diapers I"ve made, and following each picture is a short description.  


This diaper is serged, with short fat wings. 


This diaper has an an extra long soaker, serged right to the back of the diaper..

This one has a hem.  This seemed to add to the amount of time and work that was needed, and was not as nice as a finished product.  Therefor I will not be offering this other than as a custom order.  Note the long skinny wings of the diaper. 

For good measure, here's a picture of the back.

The soaker for this diaper would be snap in.  I also made it only as long as the diaper itself, thinking that maybe I'd offer two doublers with each one, for maximum flexibility.  However, at this time I plan to make longer ones to fold over.  Less pieces means less work for the laundry-doer in your house.

This is my personal favorite design, and I conveniently forgot to add the elastic at the right time, so guess what? We're keeping it.



As you can see the doubler is serged into the front of the diaper.  This gives a very trim look in the bum.  I would challenge you to tell the difference between a cloth and sposie diapered baby wearing jeans over this.  You can fold it so that  more absorbency is in the front for boys or crotch for girls.  Also note the shorter, fatter wings.

The final picture shows the where the doubler is serged to the front.  If I put a tag on this diaper, again it would be in the back. 

Now leave a comment on what features you prefer.  I'd also like to know if you'd rather have a one size fits most, with the possibility of adding a newborn size later or a two size system.  A two sized system might mean it fits from birth to 18lbs and 18lbs to 35.




No comments:

Post a Comment