Thursday, October 27, 2011

LamBums and Something Called Zorb

 Here is a LamBums on an old Baby Alive doll.  (maybe 10 yrs old if anyone really cares. . .)  The diaper seemed to fit fine, though my plastic model probably couldn't complain if she wanted to!  I would say that the rise is a little high and the diaper overall is a little bulky for a newborn.  Personally I prefer infant prefolds with a snappi for noodly newborn legs, though I would say that this diaper should fit well enough to use.  The diaper is snapped down to it's smallest size.
 On my cranky 1 1/2 year old.  he is roughly 20-25lbs and this is a great fit for him.  Though I have to say that as he's on the skinny side, I should think about making the diaper for chubbier babies.


Here my favorite LamBums is on my Favorite 3 1/2 year old.  He let me put it on him but couldnt' wait to get it off.  My 30lb kiddo is just too big to be comfortable in this.  I think the rise is perfect overall, but adding adjustable elastic in the legs and more room in the waist would make an easier fit for more babies and toddlers.
Just had to show off the my favorite side!  This diaper is not for sale.  I've fallen completely in love with this little Monkey Butt!


 Well, with the help of a few friends and family I have decided on the name LamBums for my upcycled fitted diapers.  Each of these fitted diapers are made of at least 75% upcycled t-shirts.  The other 25% is sewing notions and a material called Zorb.  I am using Zorb on a trial basis.  My first set of diapers will not have any Zorb added to them, but after this batch is sewn up and sold I plan on using Zorb for the long fold over doubler for maximum absorbancy.

I have included links to articles on Zorb above, but here is the rundown.

  1. Zorb is made up only of materials already found in most AIO diapers.  These fibers are 'tangled cellulose fibers of Bamboo/cotton/viscose and poly micro fiber' (quoted from What is Zorb?  Do you know?Viscose is becoming synonymous with rayon.  Poly Microfiber is the microfiber found in inserts and other diaper making materials.  You should note that microfiber should not ever be used next to the skin as it will leach the moisture right out of the skin, causing burns/rashes.  Most all in ones inlcude microfiber on the inside of their diaper, using fleece or other fabric in between the micro fiber and skin.
  2.  According to Wazoodles, Zorb is made in the US and Canada in modern facilities safe for workers and the environment.
  3. Every 2 layers of Zorb could replace either 8 layers of flannel, 6 layers of french terry, 5 layers of cotton fleece or 4 layers of sherpa.  As far as thickness goes, it's about the same as 3 layers of flannel or 1 layer of sherpa.
  4. It is said that compression leakage is much less, due to the ability to quickly move liquids around.
  5. It's Hemp free.  Why?  I don't really know.  Wazoodles is against using hemp in diaper or healthcare products.  I'm assuming it's because they are against the use of pot as a medication, but maybe I'll do some research and post on it.
This post is based on the less expensive original Zorb.  I am posting this in formation to see what kind of reaction people have to zorb.  It's not entirely natural and is man made, as well as not being upcycled from previously loved materials.  I'm not sure why I struggle with using new materials.  I have to remind myself that thread and elastic really aren't salvageable!  

No comments:

Post a Comment