Friday, November 18, 2011

So Many Options!

There are so many options out there when it comes to diapering your baby!  I'm hoping to demystify that a little for you. . . when it comes to what you can use under wool anyway.

First lets discuss absorbent diapers that can be used with wool.  Really, anything can be used. 

Disposable Diapers with Wool? 

Maybe you're strictly a disposable diapering parent.  Or possibly daycare doesn't accept cloth but you're tired of the excess amount of blowouts that seem to happen with newborns in disposables.  Just slide those wool pants over their 'sposie and they'll be the most fashionable tot around!  This is a great fashion statement as well as an extra insurance policy against messes.

Most thrifty and trim option?

Flats baby!  With some 'tricky-looking' (but EASY to learn) folding techniques, you can save TONS on your diaper stash.  I don't know of any day care centers that will play with those, but they are an option for home use!  If I was able to start all over, I"d go with all flat diapers and only use fitteds when we're away from home, having a sitter etc.  They are wonderfully absorbent as well.  For over-night simply lay two flats out before folding, and as they get older add a doubler over night as well!  Hemp or Bamboo are said to be wonderful for flats!  Use a snappi, diaper pins or a boingo to fasten.  Toss on a soaker and let that wiggle worm free.  Yes, it is possible to put a flat on a newborn, but if you're scared of pinning baby (don't be. . . just put your fingers between diaper and baby!) I'd suggest the snappi or boingo.

What about just a little easier?

Prefolds all the way!  Prefolds still require some folding, but not as much.  They're just as absorbent but take more time in the dryer, as they've been pre-folded and have more layers throughout.  This also uses a snappi, boingo or pins to fasten.  They even come in many sizes.  Newborn (I only suggest this for preemies smaller than 6 lbs), small/baby, toddler/premium and capri.  Many people like the capri size on a larger baby/toddler, but I prefer the premium or toddler size.  It's just  a little longer and seems to be easier to manipulate where the most absorption is!  I suggest getting the small/baby size the the toddler/premium size.  I still can fit the baby size on my youngest at 20+ lbs though it's not very absorbent.

How about the most convenient choice of all?

Well, really that's up for debate.  Flats take much less time, energy and effort in washing.  You can even hand wash with little effort and line dry if you want or don't have access to a washer/dryer.  Fitteds on the other hand should be washed in the washer or you'll really need to put in some major effort in scrubbing due to the many layers.  They also take longer to dry.  However, they work just like a disposable.  Snap or velcro on and off, toss in the washer.  However, it's crucial that you use a cover if you want to protect outer clothing or stop leaks.  There are also contour diapers, which are a blend of the prefold and fitted. They are shaped like a fitted but often do not have any elastic and do require a fastener of some sort.  I really love fitteds for their ease of use and the looks I get from moms who think cloth diapers only consist of big flat squares and huge scary pins. 

What about All in Ones or pockets?

I've known people who've bought a big stash of all in ones or pockets only to find out that they leak.  Instead of buying a whole new stash, toss a wool soaker over the diaper!  Since the wool isn't getting saturated it wont even need to be washed as often and likely you could get away with only one or two covers. 

Overnight?

Wool is great overnight!  Bear in mind that when a urine soaked cloth diaper is sitting over night, it's going to smell pretty bad in the morning.  I"m telling you that my boys morning diapers will burn the nose hair off you!  Wool helps with that a little, but isn't perfect.  It is the best option for ammonia filled diapers in my opinion.  First you need to make sure the diaper you're putting on baby is highly absorbent.  Preferably more absorbent than they need on a nightly basis.  You may need to add a doubler or extra layers etc.  Then choose a THICK wool cover to go over it.  I actually suggest purchasing a custom order from me for an overnight diaper to ensure that it's thick enough.  In the winter I suggest longies so you don't have to put so many layers on baby to keep her warm.  Give it a few nights before changing up the diaper or amount of absorbency.  You may find that your kiddo is wetting through every night, so bump up the diaper a bit.  If the outer of the cloth diaper is bone dry, then consider taking the doubler out to see what happens.  If you'd like to know the truth, I use a disposable at night.  I know. .  bad advertising here, huh?  I don't want you guys to think there's anything wrong with feeling like giving up. . . you're not really giving up if you use a disposable at night.  You're also not harming your baby any at all.  As far as the brand I use. . . it's what ever is cheapest, whether it's by a sale or it's the store brand.  I've never purchased an 'organic' or 'bio-degradable' diaper ever. 

Well, that's it for now.  I really need to go spend some time with my boys, they've had a rough morning!

I hope you can see that really, anything can work with wool, so pick what's best for you!  I highly suggest a combination of flats and fitteds.

Next week I"ll talk about the choices you have in wool covers!

No comments:

Post a Comment